crazy for thinking I can pack less than 20 lbs for 4 days?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: crazy for thinking I can pack less than 20 lbs for 4 days?

Post by rlown »

so, you're saying it depends on where you go..
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

[quote="rlown"]wow. a Titanium trowel. 50 buxx as well. um, no. I'd spend that on a TI frying pan instead.

quote]

I think we need to look into this as a multipurpose TI tool. Both frying pan and trowel!1 :p
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

$39 + $7 Shipping 0.5 oz.

http://suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P1 ... rowel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Tom_H on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

This is what I carry
I'm no suture for my future.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Ah, a Trowel conundrum -
"....campfire, charcoal barbeuce, or use a gas stove or gas lantern. The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect... it may be used in any National Forest in California." - "Have a shovel available at the campfire site for preparing and extinguishing campfires."

These shovel "terms" were found nowhere else except in conjunction with obtaining a campfire permit, and at that, "having a shovel" is mandated only in the National Forests of California.
Is a trowel considered a shovel? Why?
Doesn't a Wilderness Permit (no mention found there in, about shovels and/or trowels) trump a Campfire Permit...What happens if you are crossing over from a NP -> National Forest?

However, looked more and did not find any mention of a trowel mandate clause...It could be there though? Where...?
If there, does this trowel mandate clause extend to National Forests if crossing back into National Parks?...Yosemite and SEKI?
Will the rules be subjective if someone is just passing through? What about thru hikers (PCT &JMT)...much like their having to carry/not carry bear cans depending?
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I think that's Markskor's missing oatmeal spoon, rockchucker! :D

I still stick to my point. you don't get a LOT of time out there. be comfortable, don't have to spend that much, and have a good time. why would the goal be light other than enjoyment?
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

For me, hiking all day with a pack weighing more than 25 pounds is very uncomfortable. So I think its crazy not to be under 20 pounds for 4 days.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

rlown wrote:...why would the goal be light other than enjoyment?
Bingo. At one point in my life, if the pack was under 65 lb., backpacking may as well have been daykiking. I trained in the winter by climbing stadium stairs with 100 lb. of rocks in an expedition pack. One day a participant got sick and I carried one pack on the front and one on my back, 120 lb. total. That was a hard day. For the most part though, weight was irrelevant.

I will hit 60 this year and nowadays an extra ounce feels like an extra pound used to. The bucks I spend on UL/SUL equipment absolutely do bring me enjoyment, the enjoyment of my back not being in agony. \:D/ If it weren't for this modern equipment, I would have hung up my boots a long time ago. (Actually the old 6 lb. Raichles really are sitting on a shelf under my original boy scout oak frame and canvas pack which hangs on the wall.) :wink:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I've whittled my gear weight down over the last 15 years, last year I worked a ton and did pretty well (construction) so I spent more on gear than EVER before. Albeit a bunch of that has been gearing up my son too. I figure this is a lifetime investment, or close to it, and the enjoyment it helps provide is priceless, especially the time spent with my son. He is growing so fast and a few weeks spent one on one with him, sans technology, gives me such a since of connection to him and the world all at once. It's hard to explain but I feel we are creating a life long bond that is strong and made way more comfortable by good gear that fits right, works great, and is simple. At the same time I've given my older gear to people wanting to get into backpacking.
I'm no suture for my future.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Rockchucker wrote:a bunch of that has been gearing up my son too. I figure this is a lifetime investment, or close to it, and the enjoyment it helps provide is priceless, especially the time spent with my son. He is growing so fast and a few weeks spent one on one with him, sans technology, gives me such a since of connection to him and the world all at once. It's hard to explain but I feel we are creating a life long bond that is strong...
Beautiful. Cherish it while you can. They grow up and are gone before you know what's happened. :thumbsup: