crazy for thinking I can pack less than 20 lbs for 4 days?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: crazy for thinking I can pack less than 20 lbs for 4 days?

Post by acorad »

Holy crap! Tom_H's post should be preserved for the eternities. Thank you!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks guys. I have to say that I agree with everything W. Daisy said, she always gives good advice. You can get weight down significantly just by omitting certain things. I do have a $235 super-ultralight rain jacket from ZPacks. The thing is, you can also buy a roll of 65 gal. garbage bags, poke a hole for your head, get in it and sit our the few summer rain showers that the Sierra ever sees. You can take another to put over your pack. You can also do like WD and take no trowel, just use a stick and sharp rock for gouging out scat holes. Those soda can alcohol stoves are dirt cheap and feather light. You can go lightweight on the cheap. SUL, though, does require investment.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

people still carry trowels?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Yes, getting your big 4 down below 10 pounds (8 better) takes care of most problems.

My comment though is that this was concerning a 4-day fishing trip....Did not say where though.
If doing stream destinations (Tenkara) and staying below 10,000 (where fires are allowed), your quest is quite easily do-able. Lots of great advice above.

If venturing to high altitude - the high lakes - anticipate both weather and limited success using a Tenkara Rig - (Lake fish, those of of size anyway, usually are found farther out and deeper - unreachable by Tenkara).

What are you fishing for? How high? When? On trail or off? How experienced?
I carry a good spin rod and reel, and use bigger lures...(How many chances do you have in life to catch a big fish in the Sierra? What are you saving your best/lightest gear for? Use what works best for you; take your best shot - if you are a serious fisherman. If not, why go?)...maybe an extra 2+ pounds right there. Still, (especially after looking at the $$$ posted gear list - wow!), under 20 pounds and comfortable/safe (a critical criteria) is still possible - for a price.

BTW, my high-altitude kit, with fishing gear, stove, and bear can (You never say if will you need to carry one?) - all up - 15 - 16 pounds...no food or water.

As said before, with all gear: good, cheap, light - pick two.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

rlown wrote:people still carry trowels?
Mine is titanium and weighs 0.5 oz. As a former professional guide, I believe in environmentalism and safety. Our outfit always made sure participants learned LNT and disposed of waste appropriately. A SUL trowel is efficient, and not much total weight if shared among a group. For an individual, however, it is a half ounce and a half of a Ben Franklin that can be avoided.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wow. a Titanium trowel. 50 buxx as well. um, no. I'd spend that on a TI frying pan instead.

I bought a green plastic trowel in the mid 80s. what was the point after you get off trail? boot heal, spall rock. stick.. anyway, to each their own.

and what Mark said on base weight.

I wonder what happened to the naked guy, the barefoot person, and the person who only drinks water in a 2 week trip.

Don't be stupid, be comfortable for what you want/need. If the goal is to hike with less and maybe suffer discomfort, what is the point? I go there to have a good time; not test how light i was.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I've been asked by backcountry ranger if I had a trowel with me as they are required. He didn't ask me to show it to him but trusted my word I guess. I didn't have a trowel but have since purchased a titanium one and carry it. I also occasionally use it as a deadman in leu of another stake.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

that might explain the 30 somethings carrying them on the trail near Piute. bright orange on their belts. Never have been asked even at wilderness permit acquisition time.

Wow, you've met a back country ranger.. wonder where they have been. :)
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:that might explain the 30 somethings carrying them on the trail near Piute. bright orange on their belts. Never have been asked even at wilderness permit acquisition time.

Wow, you've met a back country ranger.. wonder where they have been. :)
One.
I'm no suture for my future.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Trowels are required? Never carried one, never been asked. As someone remarked on another thread, I though that's what tent stakes are for.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com