Got some permits already!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Got some permits already!

Post by ndwoods »

I got a permit for a trip in May and one in July so far...how about you guys?
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Got some permits already!

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I've actually never reserved a permit before and never had a trail head full when I went to get one. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

My permits will be in Sequoia this year and they don't accept apps till 3/1. The website says "Midnight," so I'm assuming they mean 12:01 AM on 3/1. That sound right?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That is correct Franklin.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Well one of the permits I got you could only reserve 4 spots ahead of time...so I got 2 of them. The other might have been ok, maybe not.
My August one is Shepherd Pass so I probably don't need a permit ahead of time, but I'd sure hate to drive all the way from my house on the westside to the eastside and have to hunt for a spot I could get a permit for....
Plus, planning is so much a part of the fun!:)
Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Thanks Maverick!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Mammoth Pass in late July. Seems like a very unpopular pass! I love the Inyo system of going through recreation.gov and doing it all online. The Yosemite system of faxing off applications is a lot harder. Isn't it exciting to have a permit reserved? I feel a little bit like a lottery winner.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I used recreation.gov as well for my permit reservation from Cottonwood lakes to shepherd pass. It costs an extra 6 bucks for the convenience fee, but whatever.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Jimr wrote:I used recreation.gov as well for my permit reservation from Cottonwood lakes to shepherd pass. It costs an extra 6 bucks for the convenience fee, but whatever.
"6 bucks...whatever"...exactly! Compare that to the cost of gas getting there and back. It is really nothing.

We got ours for going over Taboose to Upper Basin in July. :D :D :rock:

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Sure you'll enjoy Shepherd AFTER reaching the top.

Dates on my trips are always very sensitive to amounts of winter snows as I try to sync to best aesthetic conditions of beyond squeeter peak, still patches of snow, peak green and wildflowers. So given the drought questions will wait for some time in May. And with the drought that is increasingly unlikely to include the board's upper Kern trip this July as I'll only bother tackling Shepherd if water conditions are more normal. Instead will likely do a far easier Mono Creek headwaters trip.