Trail Etiquette - How to Politely Deter unwanted "third whee

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Trail Etiquette - How to Politely Deter unwanted "third whee

Post by SSSdave »

Hi Suzy,

I've backpacked decades in the Sierra and never had to deal with your issue or some of the related others mentioned. But I am not a thru hiker, am often off trails, don't often camp near trails or others. Solo maybe 75% of the time. Reality is there are many backpackers that are probably afraid of really being alone in remote wilderness. Especially those that have not solo'd much if at all. That often shows at popular lake destinations when one finds several groups camping within earshot of each other then otherwise miles along trails or other areas about the destination lake where no groups are camping. As though some groups will hike 8 miles to some lake and then as soon as they see the first campsite where another group has set up, will then start looking for the next legal spot to plunk down at. ((( Gee I guess this is where people are supposed to camp. :confused: ))) Basic gregarious human nature with some. Another related behavior is some people and groups almost always set up camps near and within view of trails as though the notion of looking a good distance away from trails scares them.

As for tagging along with others on trails, I am aware through reading blogs that kind of social trail thing is a cultural expectation for some on thru hiking trails. Same ones who make a big deal about trail names. One just needs to read some of their blogs of where people talk about passing various others, hiking with others, helping others, camping with others and whatever. At times I do enjoy talking to other strangers I meet but will only continue such conversations beyond a few sentences if the other person or party participates to do so. I've hiked a ways along trails with some others I've talked though by that point the other party would be certain to know my destination would not be the same as theirs.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It seems like more often than not when I hear where someone is from they say the "bay area". Although the question of where are you from is common with others I personally never ask just because I don't really care. People are just people and it doesn't mean anything to me where your from.

I personally have never cared if someone knows where I live down to the exact address.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Fun topic, interesting anecdotes!

It really depends on where I am and who I am with. I'm always surprised by people seeking a quiet, solo wilderness experience on the JMT. I consider the JMT to be a very social place, and that comes with good and bad. I have hiked with and camped with several different groups on the JMT, and I embraced the social aspect of the trail and really enjoyed it. It's part of the soul of the JMT, I think. In fact, I've been thinking about doing it again since each time is unique due to the people I meet. Sometimes these people might not be the most...exciting...to spend time with, but with the ebb and flow of the trail, layover days, and pace, it's actually harder to stick with someone than you'd think (even if you want to!)

If I'm looking for a quieter, peaceful trip I'll go off-trail. If I do encounter people out there, I find they are generally of a similar mind set. A quick friendly conversation followed by parting ways. I haven't had any 'third wheels' appear in my off-trail travels.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I do enjoy solitude and will adjust wherever. Even living here in Tx someone says they are from in CA. I ask where, do the drill drown to the city level; being from that southern part for so many yrs. I go from there feeling the amount of conversation they/I want and go from there. Comfort level gleaned from both sides
jmtorbust
Topix Newbie

Post by jmtorbust »

This is my first post here, and I just recently joined. I've actually been agonizing over this for the last few weeks. I am planning to do the JMT this summer. I was fortunate and secured three permits. However, I am now realizing that the two people who agreed to join may back out. I think it is mostly the sheer amount of planning. I am a millennial and I find that many of the people in my generation cannot focus long enough to make a serious plan more than a week from the day of discussion (even then, it can be very challenging).

So this leaves me in a spot where I must seriously consider going solo. I have wanted to do this trail for a long time and there is a natural window this August, once I finish grad school. I do not envision a time in the next few years where a three week vacation without internet is likely to work so I want to take the opportunity. I want to go badly enough, that I am willing to go on my own if I must. I would prefer to have company, though. I have read on this forum and many others about how it is easy to link up with people once you get on the trail but this thread has me reconsidering.

My question is whether you all think that the JMT is a particularly social trail?

I have gleaned from some of the posts on this string that it is. I am not so obtuse as to force my presence onto another hiker who signals the desire to journey in solitude, but I would likely be unhappy if I got on the trail and found myself alone. I suppose I could handle the days alone, but I imagine I will select more popular campsites for security at night. Based on my experience, I just do not relish the idea of sleeping in complete solitude and I would prefer knowing that someone was within shouting distance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jmtorbust,

Welcome to HST! You will be sharing the JMT in August with quite a few people.
If you plan to camp at the more popular areas along the way you should easily
have others near by so you will not be in solitude. Many folks doing the JMT
are happy to shoot the breeze with you, some are even happy to have others
tag along because they too do not like solitude, but do enjoy the wilderness
setting. Many folks doing the JMT are not looking for solitude, there is plenty
of crosscountry acreage for those who require total solitude.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

should spin the last two posts off to their own thread. You want a 2nd or third wheel.
jmtorbust
Topix Newbie

Post by jmtorbust »

Thanks for the advice, Maverick. I am reassured to hear it. I think I will go one way or the other and figure it out on trail. I may also put up a post on this forum or the JMT yahoo group to see if anyone wants to join. If either of my current partners bail, I still have two spots on my permit reservation. At this point, I think it's a good place to be :)

Rlown: I am not actively seeking a hiking partner at this time. My question was directed at tapping into this conversation regarding whether people are social on the trail. If I decide to seek a partner for my quest, I will start a fresh thread. Also, if I need to start a separate thread to inquire as to the social aspect of hiking, please let me know and I will do so. I thought this might be considered on-topic since it was directed at the issue of meeting strangers on the trail.

-Rob
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

start a new thread.

russ
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

austex wrote:R.C.going into someone's camp is like following someone into the bathroom to continue a conversation while you s#*+.
i had a guy at a volunteer thing who wanted to shake my hand ....at the urinal....gross.

i solo hike mostly ...I like to yack at the th or after a long hike or during a break when someone shows up....as for hiking in groups,its ok and ive only done it a few times but i totally forget the scenery and its more of a social experience...i like hiking with my dad cuz he doesnt like to talk much either while taking in the scene....what i would like is to go with another person to the sierra so we can share gas,chat during driving and then once at th split and each go solo and then meet back at parking lot for drive home.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;