Mid-summer Eastern California Exploration

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CaliCruzer
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mid-summer Eastern California Exploration

Post by CaliCruzer »

Hey all,

So I am going to be spending 6 weeks living in eastern California for a geologic field study this summer (june through late July). First I will be at S.N.A.R.L. near Mammoth Lakes and then Cedar Flat Campground off the 168, east of Big Pine in the White Mountains. While I have done a good deal of backpacking in the Sierras, I don't know much (anything) about the White Mountains. For the field study we get one day a week off, including one night. What I am interested in are cool day trips, whether its hiking, hot springs, cool canyons, stuff like that to occupy my days off. Will be driving a high clearance vehicle that can take on most dirt roads, but gets sketchy on rough 4x4 roads. Any locals of the area know of cool destinations? Would be willing to drive 2+ hours each way.

Cheers,
Cruzer :partyman:
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mid-summer Eastern California Exploration

Post by sparky »

Saline Valley! Lots of cool canyons and hot springs.
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Mid-summer Eastern California Exploration

Post by ndwoods »

There are several hot springs....you can google some of the more well known ones. I took my granddaughters and we just drove around the dirt roads and found 3 by ourselves....all in a low clearance Subaru Forester...
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;