Recommendations for backpacking in mid February

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendations for backpacking in mid February

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oh, I also agree that the Lost Coast is a great trip. Be careful on coast range since it is so dry, some of the fresh water streams could be dry.

Have you thought about Channel Islands? Again, not a 4 day trip but could be part of a coastal road trip/overnight backpack trip.

I actually have done quite a bit in Yosemite in winter. The sunny side trails (Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek) are usually open all winter. It would be more of several overnight trips, instead of one 4-5 day trip. The 12-mile valley hike is really nice in the winter too. The cold settles into the valley in the winter so surprisingly, it often is warmer on the rim.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I actually have done quite a bit in Yosemite in winter. The sunny side trails (Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek) are usually open all winter. It would be more of several overnight trips, instead of one 4-5 day trip. The 12-mile valley hike is really nice in the winter too. The cold settles into the valley in the winter so surprisingly, it often is warmer on the rim.
I'd like to visit Yosemite Valley soon and planned on doing just this. For these types of trips do you normally just car camp overnight in the Valley?
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

The other option is to aim for a lower elevation hike like Rancheria Falls in Yosemite. Watch the weather, aim for a clear window, and that's a great hike that we've done in March. Elevation is about 5,000 feet, so snow USUALLY isn't a problem.

Of course, you'll want to bail if a major storm is predicted...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

tro4130 wrote:If anyone has recommendations of fantastic lakes to backpack by that are no further north than Bishop, I would greatly appreciate it. We are looking for more mellow backpacking considering weather and the rapid changes consistent with Feb.
Patagonia is south of Bishop and is very nice in February ;)
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Ishi Wilderness, between Chico and Red Bluff.

Low elevation, no snow.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=