Yosemite to Mammoth

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite to Mammoth

Post by tim »

I'll bear that in mind re the Tuolumne BP campground for my own trips, thanks.
Note there's no need to go all the way to Mammoth on Day 1 as you can pick up the Inyo NF permits at Lee Vining.
But definitely don't try and get the permit when you get off the bus in Mammoth...
Lway4life
Topix Newbie

Post by Lway4life »

Thanks everyone for your two cents worth. It will probably turn out to be worth more than two cents in the long run...

Traveling from the central valley makes for a long first day driving through YNP to go to Mammoth just to turn around and head back to YNP. The next day do it again. But I think this will be the plan. Being that we'll have to take an "extra" day, it will be nice that the last day will be somewhat shorter in miles and it will be going downhill into YNP.

Again, thanks for your comments.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Oh the logistics of this thread did my head in! But have a great hike, wherever you end up, in which direction, and with whatever people and vehicles left whereever halfway and how every many shuttles and buses and cars are involved :D

My only contribution is to back up that Tuolumne Meadows permit office/rangers etc are great about you camping in the backpackers campground - we arrived there by bus with no permits to hike anywhere (we were looking for a walkup permit the next day) and the ranger told us the campground was available for backpackers who arrive without a car, no problem. It does get kinda crowded so people share sites - there aren't enough to go around in midsummer.

Also re the YARTS bus in Mammoth, you've probably found this out yourself from their site but they do stop at three other places in Mammoth Lakes - near the Park'n'Ride in Old Mammoth Road is a good one if you're camping at Shady Rest. It's a bit later departure than from Mammoth Mountain Inn, too. The buses can run a bit late in the morning is our experience, even so early in their run, so don't panic if the bus is not there ten minutes after the advertised time.

have fun!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

I'm doing a solo trip from Tuolumne Meadows to Agnew Meadows in August so I too have looked at shuttle logistics. Here's what I'm tentatively doing:

-Leave work at 3PM and make the 4 hour drive to TM. Park at the Wilderness Center and camp in the backpackers' campground.

-grab my permit when the Wilderness Center opens (7:30am?), and head south on the PCT/JMT.

-spend 4 marvelous nights under the stars exploring the area with Banner dominating my thoughts.

-position my last night's camp on the River Trail just a couple of miles away from Agnew Meadows for a quick walk out to the Reds Shuttle bus in the morning, which starts running at 7:15am. They run about every 35-45 minutes until 10am, then it's every 20 minutes. Take Reds shuttle to Mammoth Mountain Inn/Adventure Center. I'll only have two chances to grab a YARTS bus back to Tuolumne Meadows for the day: 8am or 10:45am. Probably the 10:45am YARTS back up to TM to my car. Another 4 hour drive back home. Done.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just to add...
Agreed, would always rather be hiking down the Mist (or JMT) into the Valley on the last day - styling - than have to hike up that 3000 foot climb on your initial day with a full pack and new legs... whatever; realize you will be continually battling the day-hiker and Half Dome crowds on their way up to LYV.
Mountainman who swims with trout
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

My 2 cents: The northbound ascent up Donahue Pass is also more gradual than the southbound, making for easier hiking. We did Agnew to TM last August. It's a great, great trip.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

FeetFirst wrote:from Agnew Meadows for a quick walk out to the Reds Shuttle bus in the morning, which starts running at 7:15am. They run about every 35-45 minutes until 10am, then it's every 20 minutes. Take Reds shuttle to Mammoth Mountain Inn/Adventure Center. I'll only have two chances to grab a YARTS bus back to Tuolumne Meadows for the day: 8am or 10:45am. Probably the 10:45am YARTS back up to TM to my car.
Quick caveat -
Two systems of buses run below MMI -
One (free) makes a loop Agnew - Sotcher Lake - DPP - Reds, continuously...do not know when they start mornings.
The one that goes up to MMI ($7.00) boards first at Reds and then at DPP, but... be aware if full they will not pick you up at Agnew when passing by - (been there!). Best advise is to take free bus (backtrack) from Agnew to DPP first, and then board the other bus that goes up the hill.
Realize that packing up, morning hiking, and two buses...all before meeting the Yarts bus @MMI before 10:30 AM might be a stretch.
Mountainman who swims with trout