Yosemite to Mammoth

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lway4life
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Yosemite to Mammoth

Post by Lway4life »

I have been lurking in the shadows for quite some time, enjoying everyone's posts, and thought that it was about time for me to post. I have planned my trip for this July to leave happy isles and arrive at mammoth. I plan on taking the YARTS back to yosemite but I am not sure where the YARTS picks up in mammoth. Should I plan on ending my trip in Agnew Meadows, continue on to Minaret Summit, or something else entirely different?

All help is appreciated. Thank you!

Nathan
ndwoods
Founding Member

Re: Yosemite to Mammoth

Post by ndwoods »

Hi.
Looking on their website http://www.yarts.com/service.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it looks like YARTS goes to Mammmoth Mtn Inn...I think that is where the bus first takes you when you take the shuttle bus from the trailhead at Red's Meadow to town...if so, that is super easy to catch. Anyone else want to chime in?
dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

You'll want to get the Devils Postpile shuttle bus out from Agnew Meadows (or Reds Meadow if you want to hike more of the JMT) up to Mammoth Mountain Inn. Yarts goes from there, but only in the morning if the schedule is the same as 2013 (http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2013/Sono ... -05-28.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

So it is a bit of a pain to finish your hike in time to catch a morning bus and you might have to spend a night in Mammoth. Since Mammoth is also a somewhat less convenient place than Yosemite Valley to be without a car (good free shuttles but you have to connect between them to get across town), it's worth considering leaving your car at Mammoth Mountain and getting the shuttle to Yosemite at the start of your hike. You would have enough time to get from the valley at least to LYV on the first afternoon (make sure your permit is held for late arrival or collect the day before). Then you could exit early afternoon at Mammoth and drive home the same day.
Lway4life
Topix Newbie

Post by Lway4life »

Thanks for the info. Do you think that it is reasonable to plan on staying at reds meadow on the last night, wake up the next morning catch the devils postpile shuttle, and catch the yarts in time? I am trying to decide if this can work or if it would be better to park at yosemite and take the yarts over on the first day and then end back at yosemite. Again, thanks for the perspective.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Lway…

It is always better to do the shuttle before you start. having your vehicle at the end much simplifies life.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

If the schedule remains the same then the 10.45am departure from MMI would be fine (you say you're going in July). Shuttles leave Reds Meadow from about 8.30am or 9am and it's no more than 30-45 mins. Unfortunately that leaves you in Tuolumne Meadows so you'd either have to get the later hiker bus back or leave your car there and use a shuttle at both ends of the trip. The only practical way to get the 8am through bus is to stay in Mammoth (eg Shady Rest campsite by the Visitor Center).

I agree with Mike that having the car at the end is nicer. But your suggestion of starting from Mammoth means getting into Mammoth at 9pm which wouldn't be great. And you would have to go around town on the bus to get your permit from the Visitor Center while it's open (no night box if going into YNP) which will mean a late start and waiting for the DePo shuttle with lots of day trippers. So shuttling back from Mammoth to Yosemite at the start seems optimal to me.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

oldranger wrote:Lway…

It is always better to do the shuttle before you start. having your vehicle at the end much simplifies life.

Mike
+1
That's what we did several years ago. Much nicer/easier if your car is at the end of the hike.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Agree with Mike here (hard to admit though) that hiking to the car is always preferred...IMHO, better to always shuttle first.

That being said, I would go Mammoth to the Valley instead.
The main problem with your route is the time of the Mammoth bus connection...The bus gets back into Mammoth Mountain Inn from the Valley at 9:00 PM, thus unless late night driving home, tired, is your intention, you must stay over Mammoth. Yes there are $$ hotels aplenty or the suggested Shady Rest Camp but doing these at 9:30 PM...not my cup of Single Malt.

If you had one extra day, you could first drive to Mammoth early, get your "next day" permit there, and continue on to Tuolumne - drop off passengers and gear - and solo, you continue on to the the Valley. (Leave car safe in Curry Orchard), and take the 5:00 PM Valley Hiker bus (meets in front of Valley Wilderness Center) back to Tuolumne for your first night...gets back to Tuolumne @7:00 PM - meet with your crew (while still light and the store still open) and stay over BP camp - acclimate - drink beer.

Next morning, all take the morning Yarts - Tuolumne to Mammoth Inn (@10:00 AM) - DPP bus down to Agnew, and be on the trail by noon. Make it an easy first day hiking - maybe River trail to just below Garnet that day - camp along the river.
From then on you continue on to the Valley by whatever route floats your boat - Hiking back to the car in Yosemite.
This way, after the grand hike, easy pizza and more beer in the Valley :D , easy BP camp after in the Valley that night, and drive home next morning.
Mountainman who swims with trout
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

markskor wrote:If you had one extra day, you could first drive to Mammoth early, get your "next day" permit there, and continue on to Tuolumne - drop off passengers and gear - and solo, you continue on to the the Valley. (Leave car safe in Curry Orchard), and take the 5:00 PM Valley Hiker bus (meets in front of Valley Wilderness Center) back to Tuolumne for your first night...gets back to Tuolumne @7:00 PM - meet with your crew (while still light and the store still open) and stay over BP camp - acclimate - drink beer.
This sounds great, but why would you be allowed to stay in the BP camp at Tuolumne? You wouldn't have a YNP permit, just an Inyo one.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

tim wrote:
markskor wrote:If you had one extra day, you could first drive to Mammoth early, get your "next day" permit there, and continue on to Tuolumne - drop off passengers and gear - and solo, you continue on to the the Valley. (Leave car safe in Curry Orchard), and take the 5:00 PM Valley Hiker bus (meets in front of Valley Wilderness Center) back to Tuolumne for your first night...gets back to Tuolumne @7:00 PM - meet with your crew (while still light and the store still open) and stay over BP camp - acclimate - drink beer.
This sounds great, but why would you be allowed to stay in the BP camp at Tuolumne? You wouldn't have a YNP permit, just an Inyo one.
A Mammoth issued "next day" permit is a legal permit - Yosemite recognizes all - bends over backwards to accomodate true backpackers w/ gear. They know how these things can work - trip itineraries/car logistics/bus connections - and honors logical variations graciously...with permit.

Additionally, in Tuolumne, the BP camp itself is self-policing - Rangers do not regularly inspect all campers like in the Valley. Last year, stayed Tuolumne BP probably 10 nights total and never saw a Ranger up in the BP camp.
Mountainman who swims with trout