Sugestions for a Spring Break Highschool football Sierra Hik

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ross939 »

Tom_H wrote:Ross, I wish you the absolute best wherever you go. I hope you have a terrific time with your son. I can't think of a better way for a father and son to spend time together. Again, I apologize for being so brutally honest, but during this past year there were discussions here on HST regarding 8 or so people who died in the Sierra due to not being prepared in some way. I would much rather accost you with words like this than to read in May that your bodies had been found in the high country. Again, have a great time with your son.
Thanks, Tom, no need for apologies. I noticed the spike of sierra fatalities last summer when my son and brother were hiking the jmt. That's why I posted here because I know this board is filled with seasoned experts who have much more experience than myself. Appreciate your response.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Re: Sugestions for a Spring Break Highschool football Sierra Hik

Post by Ross939 »

And also, thanks, all, for the concern with the kid's knee. Believe me, it's been like trying to corral a wild horse with this kid, lately. He thinks he's invincible. I caught him out in the backyard doing some wind-sprint-style football drills the other day, and got all over his butt for it. Doc told him NO running, even though he swears he can do it. I've seen too many kids his age lately re injure their ACL after their initial surgery... but it seems they know it all at this age. Understandably, he's felt a bit couped up lately, that is why I thought getting out on the trail might do him a bit of good.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Ross939 wrote:this kid....thinks he's invincible.... but it seems they know it all at this age.
Ah, the joys of raising a teenager. #-o Arrgh, if I get started on that one.... :soapbox:
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

WD: The South sid eof HH burned. The north side did not. The trail is on the North side...and should be OK...

Admittedly, it isn't going to be the way it was...but it's still nice back there. The Falls should be falling!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

balzaccom wrote:WD: The South sid eof HH burned. The north side did not. The trail is on the North side...and should be OK...

Admittedly, it isn't going to be the way it was...but it's still nice back there. The Falls should be falling!
Slightly off-topic but I think the switchbacks up to Laurel/Vernon are closed for the time being: the fire definitely got over to them. However, you can still go to Rancheria which is a nice out and back hike, with a side trip to LeConte Point. Will be interesting to see what happens in the spring/summer in terms of trail clearance and opening.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Actually a ranger told me recently that that trail system at Hetch Hetchy is all closed because of the danger of falling dead trees. anyone interested in going should call the park rather than ask here
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

If I were in your situation, I would just plan to day hike the valley.