Sugestions for a Spring Break Highschool football Sierra Hik

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sugestions for a Spring Break Highschool football Sierra Hik

Post by Ross939 »

I am tentatively thinking about putting a hike together with my son, a high school football player. A brief history, he was training to hike the JMT last summer. About two months before the hike, he tore his ACL. Although his doctor advised against it, he continued training for the hike and went with his uncle last July. He made it to Red's meadow, where he decided to pack it in. Although the knee was always in the back of his mind, he now admits that it was more than likely a convenient "out" when the going started getting tough.

We are thinking about doing another hike, but we have about a week, or less during spring break. We are thinking about inviting a couple of his friends on the football team to make it like an early spring training session. We are tentatively planning between March 16-22. I would love any feedback for a hike for these guys. We live in Sonoma, about a five hour drive to the Valley floor. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the JMT, we are just looking for a good hike, something that will test them but not put them in harm's way. The guys are in pretty good shape, but I'm not sure how much hiking experience they have. We will probably be a group of 3-4, is all.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sugestions for a Spring Break Highschool football Sierra Hik

Post by rlown »

prove the knee is good. hike up the miles beforehand. to know it'll work. I lost a trip due to an ankle last year. I knew it wasn't good to go again. It's not about Bravado at that point; it becomes an exit strategy if a joint isn't strong.

do 5 miles with a pretty nicely loaded day pack up to your departure, and then reevaluate before you leave for the trip.
Last edited by rlown on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Are you coming from the south? What experience does the other boys have? How many miles are you comfortable hiking and does everyone have half way decient gear?
I'm no suture for my future.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

rlown wrote:prove the knee is good. hike up the miles beforehand. to know it'll work. I lost a trip due to an ankle last year. I knew it wasn't. It's not about Bravado at that point; it becomes an exit strategy.

do 5 miles with a pretty nicely loaded day pack up to your departure, and then reevaluate.
Yes, definitely we have talked about this. He had reconstruction surgery about three months ago and is still participating in PT and starting light jogging. I made it clear that this would be something his doc will have to sign off on. And thanks for the tip. We are doing five mile hikes right now, but with no pack.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you're pushing it for March, esp on a knee.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

Rockchucker wrote:Are you coming from the south? What experience does the other boys have? How many miles are you comfortable hiking and does everyone have half way decient gear?
We are coming for the north SF Bay Area. It remains to be seen the experience of the other two boys. I know they all hike the local trails up here, about 4-6 mile hikes, light-medium hilly terrain.

Gear is something that we will definitely discuss, and I am aware of what is needed for the terrain and distance, as we spent a good amount of time researching his first JMT hike. He also learned what he should have left and what else he should have brought from his first hike, and cost and equipment expectations will certainly be communicated beforehand.
Last edited by Ross939 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

rlown wrote:you're pushing it for March, esp on a knee.
Thhanks, perhaps we are getting a bit too ambitious, for that type of terrain.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Maybe a short local shakedown hike first, see how that goes then shoot for a bigger hike.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you guys don't fish, right?
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »