Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

Post by franklin411 »

rlown wrote:would love to hear the results of the test.
Yep, I'll post whether it's yea or nay. The doctor said I didn't have to do the test if I didn't want to (probably lots of people are squeamish), but I definitely want to know! :)
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

Post by franklin411 »

Well, no test. I collected the samples (bleh!) and brought them to the lab this morning, and they wanted to charge me another co-pay to have them processed. I was expecting to pay the Egg and Parasite test fee listed on my insurance company's cost estimator ($15), not an office visit copay ($40). I thought about it for a second and was like...why pay $40 for a test that very often results in false negatives...and even if I get a positive, there's no way of knowing where I got it?

Well whatever...the symptoms were mild aside from the gas/intestinal pain, and all symptoms disappeared after 1 full day of Flagyl. I'll take the full course of 10 days (aside from the pill's metallic taste, no side effects so far), but I figure I'd rather spend the $40 I would have spent on the test eating in a better, probably giardia-free restaurant after my next hiking trip!