Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Planning for Late May Trip: Rae Lakes Loop or Deadman Canyon

Post by Kelbaker »

If the east side is an option and the weather and snow condition are not a problem, I would also like Miter Basin or even Kearsarge Pass area. From Kearsarge Lakes you could try Glen Pass into Rae Lakes or Dragon Lakes, beautiful area, but it will probably be full of snow and hard to get over that time of the year being it is a North South Pass. If that does not work you could go down into Bubbs Creek and from there you could easy X-country explore Center Basin or Vidette Creek. and then back out the way you came.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

markskor wrote:
GraceC89 wrote: there are very large and obvious cairns the whole way up.
Off topic but...never been a fan of "very large and obvious cairns" on any route. IMHO, spoils the fun of route finding off trail.
The cairns on that trail are official. I talked to a NPS trail crew a few years back and they told me how they know something needs to be done about that trail but for now the solution is they built cairns so they have really large ones that are on spec in trail construction manuals.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback! My friend put the kaibosh on the Eastern Sierra for some reason which she never really explained. She said she didn't like the idea of the long drive up 395 from the LA area, but it's just as long of a drive up the Central Valley. Can't argue with a woman! ](*,)

I'm going to use the Eastern Sierra suggestions with my other friend--she's coming from Vegas, so I think the East side would work great for her.

Sounds like we're doing the Deadman Canyon loop then, which is fine with me--When I did part of the High Sierra Trail last year I looked longingly at Elizabeth Pass, so it'll be nice to see the other side of things. I met a party on the HST who had come over that pass from Deadman and they also said that the trail wasn't in great physical condition, but the area was spectacular.

My friend now only has 3 full hiking days instead of the 3 full + 1 partial hiking days I had expected. However, she says that she's good for 15 miles a day so we should be able to go the distance.

If Elizabeth Pass looked too dicey or if we did fall behind schedule, could we go cross country West and connect with the trail from Pear Lake back to Lodgepole? I don't have cross-country experience, but it looks doable on a map.

Also, does anyone know if any of the established campsites along the route have privies? Always nice to have a little luxury!

Thanks again!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

You wont regret going to such a beautiful area. In 2010 I hiked 80 miles of trail I didn't care to do at the time just to get back in Deadman Canyon.

I find it a bit funny to argue that the beautiful drive up 395 is long.

As for cross country yes there are options but unless you have the head for it and make good route finding decisions it could be difficult. You can get onto the Tablelands from both around Big Bird Lake and the small set of lakes NW of there. Then down past Table Meadows where you can cut over to Pear Lake and take the trail down.

I cannot think of any place along that trail with a privy.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

That's an awfully long hike for 3 days, especially with the likelihood of early season snow, which will slow you down on the passes. 2 days to Deadman Canyon is hard enough but 1 day back from there to Lodgepole sounds excessive, especially since shuttle buses probably won't be running so you'll have to hike all the way back via Panther Gap.

Maybe it's doable with two cars if you start at Marvin Pass and exit on the HST, and had 3.5 days. But with only 3 days breaking the trip into three is tough: it means getting over Elizabeth Pass on the afternoon of day 2 which is a long, long climb from Roaring River.

Think about the loop to Twin Lakes/Ranger Lake/Seville Lake from Rowell Meadow or Lodgepole, or if you're determined to see Deadman Canyon go out and back from Marvin Pass, camp at Roaring River for 2 nights and do a day hike up the canyon.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

What Rogue says about 395 vs. w. side approach. Jeez, tim said essentially the same as I have written. 3 days for that 50 mile loop is overambitious for 95% of backpackers in optimal conditions. In late may of even a dry year even fewer are capable of that trip--let alone enjoying it. And while there are ways of cutting off some distance one near big bird requires some skill to work your way up to the Table lands and across to Pear Lake before hitting the trail to lodgepole(Rogue notes this,too!). Though a shorter route your speed of travel will be greatly reduced. Given the potential for snow on the ground and frequent unsettled weather conditions that time of the yearI would not recommend the trip with the time constraints you have. A shorter lollipop route would be the same start, Over Silliman Pass to ranger Lake, then cross country to Lost and Seville, then trail to Rowell Meadow and return via J.O. Pass. Or a little more demanding would be to head s. at Ranger Lake and off trail past Crescent lake and onto tablelands to Pear lake. You are likely to confront some snow on this route as well. I have skied from Pear to Crescent in late june though it was a high snow year. This trip would get you up high with some incredible views but without the death march characteristics of a 3 day 50 miler. Another alternative would be some similar type of hiking in s. western yosemite.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Thanks for the tips, Mike and Tim! I hadn't even noticed Marvin Pass on the map. That route to Deadman sounds interesting, but I'll put it down as our backup plan in case the snow/weather conditions are unfavorable in late May. We'll have to see if my friend can keep the pace. She's an experienced backpacker (europe), but my plan counts on her being able to keep up with me. I can do 16 miles w/ 4000+' of gain and a 30 lb pack @ 9000' under ideal conditions (snow might ruin that, though).

Here's my adjusted plan, which assumes that the snow isn't a problem:

Day 1:
Start @ Lodgepole
Head over Silliman Pass
Camp at Comanche Meadow (15 mi)

Day 2:
Head to Roaring River/Deadman Canyon, overnight near Big Bird Lake: 13-15 mi

Day 3:
Push over Elizabeth Pass and follow the HST out (15 mi)

I left Hamilton Lake at 8 AM last year and I was at the Crescent Meadow trailhead by 3 pm, and I assume the trip out of Elizabeth would be similar. It's about 4-5 hrs home, so we'd be back at a reasonable hour.

Of course, snow/storm/cold changes everything. In that case, then I'm happy to do the lollipop route you all mentioned, or actually I'm quite happy to car camp and day hike. I won't shed too many tears over having a toilet, showers, pepsi, and pizza at my disposal! :nod:
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Still think that is over ambitious for that time of the year. You will not be able to make the speed you expect going over Elizabeth pass. If you insist suggest you go past Comanche Meadow and ford Sugarloaf creek if it is not too high the first day. If you can ford it safely there is a campsite right there and doing so will make things a little easier. If the water is too high it should be at its lowest about 9am. Some years downed trees will also slow down your travel as trail crews will not be out.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

why is there a focus on 15 mile days of hiking? that sounds wrong in planning to begin with, regardless of age or desire. extend your trip and add layover days. make the trip enjoyable.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Deadman Canyon to Elizabeth Pass to Bearpaw Meadow (a 2000ft climb and 3000ft descent, certainly with snow at that time of year) is a rather different proposition to hiking back from Hamilton Lake to Bearpaw Meadow.
You are also ignoring the probable lack of shuttle buses to get back to Lodgepole at the end of the hike. I doubt hitching will be straightforward in late May (outside the Memorial Day weekend).