TR: Solo in the Sierra 2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
intrek38
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Solo in the Sierra 2013

Post by intrek38 »

I finally got around to almost finishing my trip report from last year. I'm not really that good with blogging but figure I'd give it a try.
http://intrek40.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texan
Topix Expert

Re: TR: Solo in the Sierra 2013

Post by texan »

Nice TR. Makes me want to get to the mountains. Thanks for sharing.

Texan
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

I love the views down into Cascade Valley. One of my favorite views from my JMT hike last July. Thanks for showing me some areas I have not yet visited.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thank you for that well written trip report and the great photos. What a great trip you had !!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Very well written TR, and pretty pictures, especially the one looking across Olive
Lake and the one of the Silver Divide. Thanks. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Robo_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Robo_Hiker »

Fantastic trip report!
That "Northeastern View at Olive" lake is a framer!
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Post by intrek38 »

Thank you all for the kind words. It still has a long way to go as this blogging stuff doesn't come easy for me. But a work in progress is better then no work at all. Thanks for the encouragement and be safe out there.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting. I liked the picture looking down the side trail towards the River Trail. I was there a few years ago in late June and had planned to go that way, but it was completely snow covered and dropped off steeply and I didn't have any hiking poles so we decided to take another route. Maybe I'll go back sometime and explore.

We were at Peter Pande Lake about 5 days before you. We had a long chat with the two rangers that were "iceberging" the former campsite in your photo. One of the guys in our group helped dig the holes to partially bury those big rocks. They gave us some stickers for our bear canisters and we gave them some snickers bars. They were out for several days doing maintenance, and we ran into them a couple of days later leaving Olive Lake.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

Very much agree with the others, nice write-up and nice images.

I have blogged all my hiking trips, as well. It's a great way to keep your trips and pics organized for easy reference, not only by you, but by others who may also be interested. However, if you are open to it, I would like to make a suggestion that might save you some heartache and frustration in your not-too-distant future, assuming, of course, you continue blogging your trips.

Although I blog using WordPress, Blogspot, like WordPress, has storage limits. On Blogspot, you have 1 Gig of free storage (which includes Picasa) and that is for everything, articles, images, etc. Once your storage requirements exceed 1 Gig, you will either have to pay for more storage, or you will have to use a combination of other Goggle services to increase your free storage limit. That is especially true for hiking blogs because they typically contain a lot of images. I post way too many images on my blog but can't seem to control myself in that area!

I noticed you are uploading your images at full resolution. Granted, when someone clicks on one of your images, it's really nice to be able to see a much larger image with all that detail, but if you continue to upload full-res images, you will use up your free 1 Gig in no time. I did the same thing when I first started blogging but ended up having to find a middle ground where the images were big enough to give readers a good feel for the environment but small enough to where I didn't use up my free storage too fast. But by the time I realized my mistake, I had so many full-res images up it was just too much trouble for me to go back and replace all of them with lower-res images.

Now if you don't mind paying for more storage, none of this matters. But if you want to make your free storage last as long as possible, you might want to consider using a graphics application to bulk-reduce your images to a lower resolution prior to uploading them to your blog. If you determine how you will manage, and scale, your storage needs at the beginning, you can save yourself some real aggravation later on. ](*,)
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Good trip report; nice mix of personal experience and trip details. Liked the images too. I've been through a lot of the area that you covered, but not in a single trip.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost