Resupply for hire via foot in upper kern / Tyndall Creek RS

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by wanderin.jack »

Since the Shepard's Pass trail blew out last summer my understanding is that it's pretty much a no go for stock so my hopes for a resupply in the upper kern / Tyndall Creek RS area from a pack station is pretty much not going to happen. So it dawned on me that some enterprising youngster in the eastern Sierra would probably love the opportunity to make a few hundred bucks on a backpack and bring me a resupply.

Any ideas on how to make this actually happen? Place an ad on the Bishop Craigslist? Maybe just call a few backpacking shops in the area?

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Resupply for hire via foot in upper kern / Tyndall Creek RS

Post by Rockchucker »

No Craigslist here in Bishop. A big portion of the backpackers don't live in the area but visit it seasonally. Try here http://www.sagetosummit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the trail running community are constantly running up and down the passes. They have several young employees that might fit the bill.
I'm no suture for my future.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

You can do it unofficially with anybody who's willing - but it's technically illegal unless they have a permit for it, which only pack stations and guide services do. Not that I wouldn't, but you should be aware of that so that you don't say anything to the wrong person and get in trouble. Don't know how much a guide service would charge.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Awesome! I called Sage and they are hooking me up with a legal PORTER! A mule is overkill for what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

wanderin.jack wrote:Awesome! I called Sage and they are hooking me up with a legal PORTER! A mule is overkill for what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, glad that worked out for you!
I'm no suture for my future.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

May be overkill, but there is a mountaineering guide service in Bishop. They are legal and may haul in supplies, probably not much less $$ than a horse packer. Get your $$ worth and have them bring in your food AND guide you up Mt Tyndall!
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Hum, that's a clever idea!

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hi
Wandering Daisy can you let us know how to contact this porter service? It costs $300 to have a mule packer bring a resupply up to the top of Bishop Pass for you. If someone could do it on foot for less, that might be a really helpful service especially for solo hikers, and a great way for someone to earn some money while training!
Cheers
Donna