Winter dayhikes from the West...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Winter dayhikes from the West...

Post by AaronRDavis »

What is your favorite dayhike during the winter months?
Is it something that can be done without snowshoes?

I've enjoyed simple walks up the Kings river (above Pine flat), Garnet dike area. It's conveniently near my home. Nice fishing along there as well.

Where do you go? I'm looking for ideas.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter dayhikes from the West...

Post by dave54 »

The BLM land along the Sacramento River between Redding and Red Bluff. Also walking along the gated roads in the various state and fed wildlife refuges along the Sac River.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/redding/ ... rails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redding/Red Bluff area.

Really nice in early Spring. These areas are open with a real wildflower show while the higher elevations are still snowbound. These are described by BLM as dayhikes but you can make an overnight backpacking/bikepacking trip out of some of them.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

We did Feather Falls Trail in late Feb. last year. Didn't see any snow anywhere.

The answer to the O.P.'s question depends on precipitation that year. The winter of 2010-11 saw snow start in Sept. and it fell almost constantly through June. I went over a 40' drift on July 11 that summer at Aloha. Now look at this winter. I don't know specifically what places are without snow, but I imagine there is a very great amount of trail in the foothills that is snow free and a lot at mid elevations that could be done without snow shoes or nordic skiis.

Of course, that could change completely within hours.

I'd like to reframe the question. What places does anyone know of on the west slope of the Northern and North-Central Sierra that are currently hikable? (As in today-right now.)
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lambertiana »

If you want to venture a little farther south, here are a few of my favorites for winter in a normal snow year (this year you could probably go pretty high without snowshoes, even something like the Lakes trail in SEKI to Emerald or Pear Lake):

South Fork - take the trail past Ladybug, continue up as far as you want. Or take the Garfield Grove trail; depending on the snow, you could probably get to Snowslide Canyon. This year I'm sure you could get to the main part of Garfield Grove, and if you're interested I can give directions to the Floyd Otter tree.

Middle Fork Kaweah - take the trail from the Buckeye Flat area, go as far as you want. The lower part is mostly in chaparral.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

We did Nevada Point Trail down to the Rubicon River last March and didn't see snow anywhere. My guess would be that it is clear of snow now. This dearth of precipitation is becoming very worrisome.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Yes, I'd expect many trails would be very accessible right now, but with some snow in the shade at all altitudes (e.g. there are still some patches on the floor of Yosemite Valley). Here's a photo from Columbia Rock on the Yosemite Falls trail last weekend.
columbia rock Jan 2014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Ditto Yosemite valley...stay far far away in the summer....but do enjoy a stroll from one end to the other in the winter when it is quiet and peaceful.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;