Pack station beta

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Pack station beta

Post by wanderin.jack »

I've noticed that there is a wide range in quality of pack stations across the range. I.e North Lake is great. onion Valley is pretty much impossible to get a hold of.

It would be nice if:
1) There was a way to know what pack stations serviced what backcountry area and
2) some rating system of pack stations.

I'm currently trying to find out what pack station services the upper kern river basin and have no idea how to find that out. Hopefully it isn't the same one that services Onion Valley as I am afraid it might be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Pack station beta

Post by oldranger »

Jack,

To get list google eastern Sierra Packers. The Berners have done well for me. I hear they had problems with some employees in 2012. Minarets Pack Station on the west side and Leavitt meadows pack station have also provided commendable service. Both are a little less expensive than most of the east side packers. This is a tough business and some pack stations change hands from time to time. Be clear where exactly you want to be packed and get specific quote for that location.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The Berners were very helpful when I was putting together the logistics for Larry's
search last Spring, but they are not the easiest folks to get a hold of.
http://easternsierrapackers.com/members.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierrapackers.org/packers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Hi,

I believe the Rock Creek Pack Station outfit will take you to the Upper Kern River Basin. Investgate rockcreekpackstation.com.

Jim
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

On the West side, I have always had good luck with both Aspen Meadows and Kennedy Meadows in the Emigrant Wilderness area.

Best of all, they have told me where they packed in groups of fishermen...allowing me to hike somewhere else!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

balzaccom wrote:On the West side, I have always had good luck with both Aspen Meadows and Kennedy Meadows in the Emigrant Wilderness area.

Best of all, they have told me where they packed in groups of fishermen...allowing me to hike somewhere else!
I agree with Balzaccom about Kennedy Meadows. I have used Kennedy Meadows for years and they are the best pack outfit in the Sierras that I have used by far. Good service and the price is the best by far. Leavitt Meadows is a good second choice.

Texan
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Pack station beta

Post by wanderin.jack »

It's looking a lot like I'll have to deal with Onion Valley Pack station and in the past my interaction with them has pretty much been terrible.

Wanderin' Jack
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Maybe the Cottonwood Pack Station does the upper Kern?
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Pack station beta

Post by wanderin.jack »

Yes, I called cottonwood. It's a 2 mule minimum and 3 days of packing = $1,500. A little out of my price range,

Wanderin' Jack
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

3 days of packing? what exactly is your proposed plan and need? That almost sounds like you're paying for them to feed you as well.. But 300-400 a day isn't out of wack, given what you're saving on your legs.