Backpacking Achilles Heel

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking Achilles Heel

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
Lightning is never fun
Au contraire my friend, give me a good lightning storm anytime to photography.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking Achilles Heel

Post by rlown »

by "not fun", I meant it's really a game of chance. Chances are you're not going to get hit. You might feel that fuzzy feeling from a near strike, like static crawling on everything around you.

I once sat on an overlook out of Evelyn Lk, looking North. Just sitting there in a full Gore-Tex rain-suit. watching the storm approach, and the lightning dance. No reason to move. Enjoyed the hail, the rain, the little bit of colder air that blasted through, and the lightning. I'm not that lucky in games of chance, but i smelled a lot of ozone that afternoon. Yes, i'd do it again.

As for your camera stuff. Agree completely a lit up sky works well for you. Keep carrying all that metal. If i ever am on one of those trips with you, i will be the guy 100yds away from you and your equipment. Everyone needs a lightning rod along with them; you'd be the guy for the job.