Maps for Theodore Solomons Trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Elwood
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Maps for Theodore Solomons Trail?

Post by Elwood »

I'm looking for maps for section 2 (Florence Lake Road to Road's End Kings Canyon N.P.). I ordered USGS maps from the ones in the old guidebook by Dennis Gagnon, & only two out of five were correct. Can anyone list the correct maps for this section of the Theodore Solomons Trail? Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maps for Theodore Solomons Trail?

Post by maverick »

Hi Elwood,

Use the HST Map to get all the 7.5' USGS Topo Map quad names for the areas your
interested in, just click on the red squares to get the quad names.
http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... p.php?fs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Hey! Maverick, Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for! Does anyone have any reccomendations for camps on this section from Florence Lake Rd. to Roads End?
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Elwood wrote:Hey! Maverick, Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I wasw looking for! Does anyone have any reccomendations for camps on this section from Florence Lake Rd. to Roads End?
I've done the portion from Crown Valley to Roads End. In that order:
--Rodgers Creek is a good campsite; in late season, it's the last really reliable water before Tehipite Valley (there are several streams, but they're typically trickles or dry in late season).
--Lots of good campsites in Tehipite Valley. I like the spots near Crown Creek (there are some on both sides of the creek), but really there are lots of options.
--After Crown Creek the next good camping is Blue Canyon Creek.
--IIRC, camping was pretty limited between Blue Canyon Creek and Simpson Meadow. (But then I had a group with me; there are likely individual sites.) Kind of closed-in, dark, & overgrown in much of that stretch.
--Great sites in Simpson Meadow. I believe we camped at the west end of the small meadow, near where the 7.5 map shows a trail crossing the river.
--From Simpson Meadow there's nothing until you've completed that 4,000' climb (start early!). We camped near Dougherty Meadow, I think.
--If you're up for a short detour, the lakes just northeast of Granite Pass are spectacular. The higher one has some nice sites.
--Might be some sites in Granite Basin, but I don't know them that well.

Hope this helps.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Thanks! Tom, We plan on camping at Helms Meadow the 1st night, after starting at Badger Flat Campground. Then day two we'll camp at either Meadow Brook or Halfmoon Lake. Day three, Rodgers Creek. Day four Crown Canyon Creek. Day five, Simpson Meadow. Day six, either Lake of the Fallen Moon or near Granite Lake, depending on how tired we all are after that climb out of Tehipite Valley. Any other suggestions?
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Does anyone know what ranger station I would contact for permit info. & wether or not we must carry bear canisters? Thanks! Elwood
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Elwood wrote:Does anyone know what ranger station I would contact for permit info. & wether or not we must carry bear canisters? Thanks! Elwood
High Sierra Ranger District
29688 Auberry Road
Prather, CA 93651
(559) 855-5355

I think bear canisters are not technically required anywhere along your route, although when you pick up your permit they will likely give you the impression that they are. I would generally recommend carrying one anyway, although if you're doing more than 7 days space gets pretty tight.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Thanks! For the ranger station info. I think we'll be out for long enough, that all our food won't fit in a canister for at least a couple of days. So, we'll do a good job treeing our food.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

They are not technically required but I would recommend them. Helms Meadow is near Courtright, and nuisance bears bother campers there.

It can be very difficult to properly hang (10 feet from the trunk, 15+ feet off the ground, no close trees or branches from which a bear could reach the bag) in the Sierra, and it's too easy to be lazy about it. And Bearikade mails the canisters to you, and has a large version - bigger than the large Bear Vault, and lighter - that works well for extended trips.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I still put all the food that does not fit in my barrel in my tent. After so much time spent in the mountains I have yet to have an issue. It's bad advice for sure but well until I do have a problem I would rather have the food close to me where a bear is likely to be scared of me rather than hang it out for easy pickings.

I don't however recommend this in the trouble bear areas although I have done it in them also.