Trip Report - Ansel Adams Wilderness sept 12-18 part II

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Report - Ansel Adams Wilderness sept 12-18 part II

Post by dreamer1 »

For some reason was unable to upload any more pictures so am continuing here...

Here is what the 'unknown lake' looked like once we reached the other end... we are about to go to the left of this picture over a saddle to what we thought was going to be Thousand Island Lake but we would learn the next day we were at Garnet. So please someone, what is THIS lake???
IMG_5870.jpg
Next morning, sunrise at Garnet (we still thought we were at Thousand Island and found it odd that there were many fewer islands than what I recalled seeing on pictures posted here. Here are a few shots...
IMG_5906.jpg
IMG_5917.jpg
Found out from some fellow hikers that we were at Garnet, so packed up and headed to Thousand Islands. Here are a few nice shots of our time there...
IMG_5962.jpg
IMG_5963.jpg
We then headed for a day hike out to Donahue Pass. We had wanted to go see the Lyell Glacier but it appeared too far from the other side of Pass so instead descended into Lyell Canyon for a bit before heading back up and over. We then trekked over to Davis lake as a little side trip on our way back to our tent.
IMG_5980.jpg
IMG_5981.jpg
IMG_5986.jpg
Next day it was time to head back out to Agnew via the PCT. Aspens were starting to turn...
IMG_6006.jpg
Great trip. Excellent weather. But please someone tell me where we were when we thought we were at Garnet (as Garnet turned out to be just other other side (north) of this large mystery lake -- the only thing I see on my map is Nydiver but it wasn't that... Thanks again for the input - those side trips (especially off Ediza) were fantastic. Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report - Ansel Adams Wilderness sept 12-18 part II

Post by maverick »

Again, that is Garnet. Here is a snapshot from Earth Google of the approx place you
took that photo from, look at the islands, and the peaks in the back, they are the exact
same ones in your photo.
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s9/v ... 2335-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dreamer1 »

You are right. Just don't know what happened there with out hike to Garnet and then over to its western end, over a saddle and then down to... Garnet! But there is no doubt that is where we were on both days...
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Dreamer

If you continued w from the point where the photo titled "What lake is this, Not garnet!" and then turned n over the ridge then followed the drainage down to the lake then you would return to Garnet! From the point the photo was taken you would have to have crossed two ridges to get to 1000 Island. Maverick of course correct. A couple of years ago I camped just a few yards below where the two people in the pic are seated. The lake behind them is Garnet. The next day I walked the shoreline to the inlet stream then up to the small basin and over the ridge to 1000 Island.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Yeah, in 2001, my family and I camped at a site at the beginning of the peninsula and then had fun going out to the end and spending time looking at the view and just exploring all its nooks and crannies. Thanks for sharing your trip report and lovely photos.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Hi Dreamer, thanks for your tr and photos.

I hiked by that area this summer. The confusion might have been complicated by the small lake/tarn located above Garnet Lake on the inlet creek. If you go west from Garnet lake, then north over the small ridge maybe you reached this small lake/tarn? It's the only body of water located between Garnet and 1,000 Island. Here's a photo from the meadow above:
29.JPG
The red arrow is pointed at the small lake/tarn:
garnet to 1000 island.JPG
Regardless of your true location getting somewhat 'lost' in the Sierra is usually a good thing anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

FWIW, (See map above) Easy use trail over the "hump" when going backside Garnet to 1000 Island -
Starts North West corner of Garnet at the inlet stream...behind big rock, and goes north of the little tarn with the red arrow, but obviously the trail (red line) also works.
Mountainman who swims with trout