TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ryanoa
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR - 10 Days on the SHR - More pictures than words

Post by Ryanoa »

I agree...Frozen Lake Pass is overrated. At least without any snow on it. I didn't want to miss it just for the reputation it has. I wanted to see what the all the hubbub was about. The endless talus on the east side was the most difficult part in my opinion. I wouldn't consider it a bucket list pass...If I were to do the route again, I would take the Dumbell/Cataract detour.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Dumbbell-Cataract route is overall more difficult than Frozen Lake-Mather Pass. However if you have the skills for one, you should be able to do the other. It depends on conditions and what you want to see. I went over Cataract in basically no-snow conditions- it was quite easy. If I recall, Rogue hit it in a high snow year and rated it very difficult. Same with Frozen Lake. If the upper chute is snow filled, it could be risky and you would need an ice axe. It also depends if you prefer to see Dumbbell Basin and Amphitheater Lake, vs Upper Basin and Palisade Lakes. However if you choose Dumbbell-Cataract and want to continue on the SHR through Barrett Basin you would have to backtrack up to Palisade Lake to reconnect with the route.

Either route, going north-south is a bit easier, in my opinion. I would rather go UP the steep stuff than down, especially if I have to do steep snow. Part of this is due to old knees. Steep unstable downhill is a formula for injury for me. The correct routes up Cataract and Dumbbell are easier to find going north-to-south.

If I were doing the SHR, and choose Dumbbell-Cataract route, I would backtrack to still do the route through Barrett Basin-Dusy Basin. Otherwise you are missing a BIG part of the SHR.

I have gone over Cartridge Pass but not the passes between Cartridge and Frozen Lake so really cannot comment on these.
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

Great photos....Thanks for the report!!!

-Scott
marymaryland
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by marymaryland »

Great photos of what looked like an incredible trip-- 10 days in the High Sierra don't get much better than that!