trip report: Pioneer Basin | High Sierra Topix  

trip report: Pioneer Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby SSSdave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Got around this lazy weekend to html code the trip made to Pioneer Basin a few weeks back. Numbers of pics. Rather unproductive trip for my view camera mostly as a result of the boring sunny breezy weather but interesting nonetheless with a taste of the chill that will be increasing as we move into fall.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/_a-z_evad/B ... 22-13.html



User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby maverick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks Dave for the TR. Enjoyed the frozen vegetation and water foam shots the most.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
User avatar
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
 
Posts: 8050
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby sekihiker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm surprised at how cold it was.
User avatar
sekihiker
Founding Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:47 pm
Location: Fresno
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby LMBSGV » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 pm

I also loved the frozen vegetation and water foam photos. As someone who's still a film user, I appreciate the soulfulness of the photos. Thanks for sharing.
User avatar
LMBSGV
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: San Geronimo, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby KathyW » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Even without clouds and snow (except that dirty old stuff), very pretty.
User avatar
KathyW
Founding Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:19 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby SSSdave » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 am

KathyW wrote:Even without clouds and snow (except that dirty old stuff), very pretty.


Kathy, wasn't it you that posted a September trip report here for that area several years ago?
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby Mradford » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Great trip report. Love the identification of the flora. Also, I really loved the 4x5s. Great job.
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby kpeter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 pm

You do such a great job finding creative and aesthetic shots even when conditions are not ideal. I thoroughly enjoyed your photography. That is another region I have not been to that needs to be high on the list.
User avatar
kpeter
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:11 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby KathyW » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:04 pm

SSSdave wrote:
KathyW wrote:Even without clouds and snow (except that dirty old stuff), very pretty.


Kathy, wasn't it you that posted a September trip report here for that area several years ago?



I know I'm getting old because I have to look at my photo albums to figure out when I did a trip in the past. Anyway, it looks like I did do a September trip to Pioneer Basin one year but it was back in 2003; so I probably didn't post it here. I'm glad you brought that up because I need to sort out the photos in the album - they aren't in order like I like them to be. Here's what it was like back in September 2003:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... /i-jsMNDNq

I guess it's time to go back into that area.

I guess another symptom of getting old is wearing the same clothes for years and years. I happen to be wearing the same shirt today that I was wearing in a photo in the September 2003 album. I know I don't spend much money on clothes anymore and tend to wear my hiking clothes to work, but I didn't realize it was that bad until I saw that photo.
Last edited by KathyW on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
KathyW
Founding Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:19 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby SSSdave » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:06 pm

You may have just posted a link to a photo posting site. Back then snownymph and a few others here posted on the old webshots.com.

So you climbed Crocker. Nice self portrait. Image 1 looking down from the north ridge onto Golden Lake which we visited in 2011 while camping at the little bench below. A delightful pristine place far from trails to basecamp at. On this latest trip was going to climb up to the ridge view for an image toward Red Slate but figured it will be better when I return while snow still decorates the landscape.

This evening just completed a spreadsheet for a leisurely 9-day base camping trip back to that area I'll paste a bit from below. Given an average winter, probably the same time as the board's Kern trip but way easier. Wildflowers ought to be peaking with turf greenest, and patches of snow still on the peaks. Then a couple weeks later may do Shepherd or Taboose when they are more likely to be peaking. But I have quite a queue of trip choices to consider. Found the perfect campspot to spend the layover days at. Actually day 7 is mostly in the basin too and will leave about 6pm after shade hits lake 2. Some impressive potential frames in that basin and a lot of interesting places to explore.

Day Destination Elev
TH Edison Reservoir ferry 7,640
1 Mono Creek 8,400
2 Lower Hopkins Lake 10,360
3 Fourth Recess Lake 10,160
4 Pioneer B Lake #4 10,870
5 layover 10,870
6 layover 10,870
7 Mono Creek 9,200
8 Mono Creek 8,180
9 Edison Reservoir ferry 7,640


Day up down dis
1 1,215 455 5.7
2 2,010 50 5.2
3 710 910 4.1
4 860 150 2.9
5 0 0 0.0
6 0 0 0.0
7 0 1,670 3.5
8 70 1,110 4.7
9 455 975 3.9
total 5,320 5,320 30.0
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby KathyW » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:51 pm

SSSdave wrote:You may have just posted a link to a photo posting site. Back then snownymph and a few others here posted on the old webshots.com.

So you climbed Crocker. Nice self portrait. Image 1 looking down from the north ridge onto Golden Lake which we visited in 2011 while camping at the little bench below. A delightful pristine place far from trails to basecamp at. On this latest trip was going to climb up to the ridge view for an image toward Red Slate but figured it will be better when I return while snow still decorates the landscape.

This evening just completed a spreadsheet for a leisurely 9-day base camping trip back to that area I'll paste a bit from below. Given an average winter, probably the same time as the board's Kern trip but way easier. Wildflowers ought to be peaking with turf greenest, and patches of snow still on the peaks. Then a couple weeks later may do Shepherd or Taboose when they are more likely to be peaking. But I have quite a queue of trip choices to consider. Found the perfect campspot to spend the layover days at. Actually day 7 is mostly in the basin too and will leave about 6pm after shade hits lake 2. Some impressive potential frames in that basin and a lot of interesting places to explore.

Day Destination Elev
TH Edison Reservoir ferry 7,640
1 Mono Creek 8,400
2 Lower Hopkins Lake 10,360
3 Fourth Recess Lake 10,160
4 Pioneer B Lake #4 10,870
5 layover 10,870
6 layover 10,870
7 Mono Creek 9,200
8 Mono Creek 8,180
9 Edison Reservoir ferry 7,640


Day up down dis
1 1,215 455 5.7
2 2,010 50 5.2
3 710 910 4.1
4 860 150 2.9
5 0 0 0.0
6 0 0 0.0
7 0 1,670 3.5
8 70 1,110 4.7
9 455 975 3.9
total 5,320 5,320 30.0


I actually didn't go to the summit of Crocker - I had only been backpacking a year or two when I did that Pioneer Basin trip; so just getting up to that ridge next to Crocker was enough excitement for me.

I like your trip plans, you're lucky to be able to do those long trips. Between work and my pets, I am typically stuck with just long weekends and an occasional slightly longer trip. Just a few more years and I'll have a lot more time on my hands, and I'm looking forward to that.

I'd like to go in at Edison to do Seven Gables and Gemini - that's next year for sure. If you're saying that peak flower time could be around the third week in July in that area, I probably should look at that time for of year for my trip starting at Edison next year.

If you were heading out now for a three day backpacking trip in the Sierra, where would you go? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out where to go on Thursday this week. I have thought about going over Puite Pass again and into Desolation Lake. From there I could do the hike up to Four Gables, which should be easy even with a dusting of snow. I'm just not sure if that's what I want to do though.
User avatar
KathyW
Founding Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:19 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: trip report: Pioneer Basin

Postby SSSdave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:38 pm

From Bishop get a permit for Lower Horton Lake, then drive out on the Buttermilk Road. Also Buttermilks have fine creekside areas to disperse camp at within sagebrush during this time of year. Some nice aspen in the lower Horton canyon. Next morning you could climb class 2 slopes up to Basin Mtn or you could take the Hanging Valley trail up to the Mt Tom ridge. At this time of year the sun rises due east so warm rays hit 12806 early. I'm likely to be down in the Bishop area before next weekend to work aspen areas though all my work will be day trips.
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], tonykurl, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests