Trip Advice, leaving tomorrow!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Advice, leaving tomorrow!

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Friends,
I know that this is last minute and I am hoping that some of you can give good advice.
I really am looking forward to a snow trip, but want safe conditions and I know that there are storms coming in.
I am leaving on Thursday, 4/22 and I have 4-5 days. I can use crampons well if it is not TOO steep And I am pretty good with snow shoes. What I want to avoid are narrow, Icy ridges, high, fast creek crossings and avalanches, (of course) Any ideas?
I was thinking of little lakes valley but not enough hiking for 4 days unless I can get over mono pass or at least day hike to the top.
I was thinking about Kearsarge but I have never been there and have no idea what the conditions or footing is like even getting to big pot hole lake.
I was thinking Sequoia or Jennie lakes but have no idea of road conditions or trail conditions.
I have plenty of time to drive north, but I beleive the storm will be worse the more north that I go.
THANK YOU,
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Trip Advice, leaving tomorrow!

Post by c9h13no3 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:56 am I really am looking forward to a snow trip, but want safe conditions and I know that there are storms coming in.
I am leaving on Thursday, 4/22 and I have 4-5 days. I can use crampons well if it is not TOO steep And I am pretty good with snow shoes. What I want to avoid are narrow, Icy ridges, high, fast creek crossings and avalanches, (of course) Any ideas?
You carrying beacon/shovel/probe, going with a partner, and trained to avoid avalanche terrain? If not, I'd avoid going out during the Sunday storm. My crew will be dialing it back this weekend, I suggest you do the same.

A snowshoe to the Pear Lake hut & Tablelands is probably the closest thing to you that's a sane route for someone with low experience. Obviously don't take the watchtower trail, people fall off that thing on a regular basis in early season. And be out before the storm.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

What about Little lakes valley? Hiking in on Friday and packing out Sat?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:06 am What about Little lakes valley? Hiking in on Friday and packing out Sat?
Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. The road should be open to Mosquito Flat on the 22nd. There's avalanche terrain all through there obviously, but if you stay out from under steep slopes, you should be good.
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

Hello Love the Sierra,
Sequoia! Twin Lakes trail. From Lodgepole to Clover Creek there is an excellent ski trail marked with a clover leaf on the ski route sign. However, satellite images show virtually no snow until the first bench above Clover Creek on the way to Twin Lakes. Twin Lakes looks snowed over still. You could crampon your way to Silliman Pass for some excellent views. I would not take snow shoes. Silliman Lake is snowed over, and the slabs look snowy too, so that's a bit scary. There is a 75% chance of rain for Monday, and lower chance of snow Tuesday. Which sounds perfect to me. Generals Highway is open all year, the short spur to Lodgepole campground is plowed a couple time a week when needed. But it's all snow free now.
If you are fast hikers you could make it to Twin Lakes the first night, and get to Ranger Lake on the second. Day hike to Lost Lake, or further. A couple years ago my brother and I stayed a couple days on Silliman Pass, melting snow for our water, but it was warm and sunny. We used that as a base camp for Mt. Silliman and Lost Lake day hikes.
IMG_0324.jpg
Mt. Silliman from Silliman Pass June 2018.
The best camp site at Twin Lakes is to the right side of the outlet, There is a use trail from very near the sign that says where you can camp just before you get to the lake. There is a broad open area near the bear box, about 3/4 of the way up the lake on the trail, but it is too close to the trail. Designed by through hikers I guess. Twin Lakes has a toilet, with no walls or roof, but an OK view.
You can probably tell I love that area.
Enjoy.
-mort
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigSea
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigSea »

FWIW, here's a few pics from Little Lakes Valley last weekend.

DSC00167.jpg
DSC00180.jpg
DSC00187.jpg
DSC00200.jpg
DSC00203.jpg
DSC00208.jpg
DSC00238.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

THANK YOU Mort, It looks lovely!
This is a super dumb question, but...Do you check the satellite maps for snow coverage on CalTopo? How do you see the snow coverage?
Thanks
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Big Sea, were you on Snoeshows or skis? Looks wonderful!!!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Hi,
Sorry to be a pest Big Sea, I enlarged it and I saw the skiis. WOW cannot wait to get mine on!
BigSea
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigSea »

Skis. Had to take them off and walk a few sections between Mosquito Flat and Mack Lake, but I think it was mostly snow covered after that....or there was at least enough coverage to let us get around the bare sections without taking the skis off.