Kearsarge pass snow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Stumpfisher
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Kearsarge pass snow

Post by Stumpfisher »

Hello! I’m looking for some wisdom from the forum here. I have. a trip planned in late June with my teenage son to go over kearsarge for a couple nights going as far as Charlotte lake. Was curious what we may expect in terms of snow on the pass at that time of year. Based on it being a lower snow year I thought we should be ok but again just wanted the wisdom of the group. Thanks!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kearsarge pass snow

Post by richlong8 »

If you look at the snow sensors, I think after 1-2 weeks of hot weather in the Central Valley(95-100), most of the snow in the High Sierra from Bishop south will be gone, my opinion, anyway.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

You good.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

agreed. bring mosquito repellent.
dil950
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dil950 »

Not to ninja this thread..but I'm actually doing a similar trip during the same time. To be honest, I'm building up my backpacking and haven't gone over a pass yet. I've been doing trips like cottonwood lakes or fern lake (mammoth) where you're looking at probably 5 miles with 1500-2000 elevation gain in a day. Based on my fitness, I would say that's about the limit before I start regretting life. Is it worth going over the pass if my main focus is fishing? Don't get me wrong, I love the views but I also don't want to spend the majority of time on a death march since there are lakes before the pass. (have a 2 night permit) Thanks for any insight.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

dil950
The view from Kearsarge Pass is one of my favorites. As for fishing, all the little stunted brookies you can handle. I think that its worth the trip because it is very pretty. It is a pretty popular place so don't expect too much privacy. If you are just looking to fish Flower is good.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
dil950
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dil950 »

gary c. wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm dil950
The view from Kearsarge Pass is one of my favorites. As for fishing, all the little stunted brookies you can handle. I think that its worth the trip because it is very pretty. It is a pretty popular place so don't expect too much privacy. If you are just looking to fish Flower is good.
Thanks for the info. With all the lakes with fish being on the trail, before the pass, may motivate me to push on over.