Is backpacking a sport?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Is backpacking a sport?

Post by sekihiker »

I showed my wife a Youtube video on using a backpacking bidet and she said the sport is evolving.
I replied, "It's a sport?"
She said, "Well, Yeah! [translation based on her tone of voice = Duh!]."

Link to "Detailed explanation on how to use a Backpacking Bidet": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-fJbJm8HY

What do YOU think?

Is backpacking a sport?

Would you use a backpacking bidet?
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Is backpacking a sport?

Post by rlown »

A sport. No Bidet.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It depends on the backpacker. Many young people approach backpacking as a sport. It is not surprising since they were raised on tons of competitive youth sports. Is climbing a sport? More so, I would say. Backpacking is just toned down climbing to some degree. Is fishing a sport? Is hunting a sport?
Most would say broadly yes. A broader designation is "outdoor recreation". Sports can be competitive or "recreational". The same skill sets are used. Then there is the question; is it a "sport" with nobody watching? Maybe not in stands or a stadium, but your "fans" may be on the internet. Those of us who post trip reports are broadly speaking to a "fan base". I think the internet and outdoor magazines are promoting backpacking as more of a sport nowadays.

Outside the "sport" wing of outdoor recreation, I would put; bird watching, wildlife watching, eco-tours, family camping, sight seeing, to name a few. There is a lot of overlap in terms.

My own transition over time from youth to old age has been: from climbing (a sport) with backpacking just a necessary part, to backpacking and exploring somewhat sporty, to backpacking for scenery (photography), to more simple appreciation of just being in the wilderness, along with fishing (sport) to fill the hours I no longer want to walk.

This may seem like a stupid exercise in terms, but I think it has an important impact on how wilderness areas are managed. Traditional management is struggling to deal with the increase in "sport" backpacking". More people are using the wilderness as a venue for their sport, and exciting a fan base on the internet, thus driving a lot of current use. The Forest Service and Park Service are somewhat blindsided by all this.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Sport, no sport, I don't care. I've run (slowly) a dozen+ marathons. At my speed, not sure that that's a sport.
Bidet, yes. Used one last year on my 8 day trip, and the only TP I used was at the loo at Little Yosemite Valley. I really liked the fact that my nether regions were quite clean, which helps prevent other problems. And if your campsites are secluded or you go at night, you can air dry for the most part.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

A few of my friends claim that chess is a sport. I just roll my eyes.

No bidet for me, but I have found these to be helpful:

https://goodwipes.com/collections/goodw ... edar-scent
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

To be a sport, you have to be able to place bets on the event, and spectators must be able to drink beer.

Does backpacking meet that criteria?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

YAWN. Oops. I meant HYOH....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

Bob Burd does his Sierra Challenge every summer. Ten peaks in ten days. They keep score, give bonus points for extra peaks. That would meet the criteria of a sport. Each person also probably keeps track silently of who gets there first. While they do backpack from time to time, most are long day hikes. All I know is that I've done some serious cross country backpacking, and it's ten times harder than any football practice I've ever been a part of. Even two a days in the summer. My vote is yes.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

dave54 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:10 am To be a sport, you have to be able to place bets on the event, and spectators must be able to drink beer.
Best reply in thread so far
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Maybe, but probably slightly doubtful teetering on very likely to be unlikely. Realistically it is a hint of this and a hint of that, with a dollop of ?