Early Season Trip Idea: Soda Cone, Carson Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Early Season Trip Idea: Soda Cone, Carson Falls

Post by c9h13no3 »

I've been toying around with plans for an early season trip. I probably won't take it just given how my schedule is playing out, but I figured I'd throw it up here for discussion.

The East Fork Carson River area has a neat back country waterfall or two, and a strange geology feature called a Soda Cone. There's been trip reports on this site from Tahoejeff here & here, so it's at least appealing enough to go back to. Balzaccom also has a trip report from the area. And the Washington Post and other media outlets have noted the early season wildflowers on the PCT around Nobel Lake, which isn't too far from this area. Highland Peak has 2000 feet of prominence as well, if you're into climbing tall things.
EastForkCarson.PNG

So with the scenery looking solid, I'm intrigued. It's also all below 9000 feet on the eastern side of the crest, so I'd expect it to melt out quick.

I've got a few questions about the trip though:

1) The road to Little Antelope trail head is 6-7 miles on dirt road. It looks good from the air, but is 4WD high clearance needed? I assume this road would get crappy in the snow/rain as well.

2) Any other scenic destinations I'm missing? Cool rock formations, pockets of wildflowers, ect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Early Season Trip Idea: Soda Cone, Carson Falls

Post by TahoeJeff »

The dirt/gravel road is steep and there are a couple of water crossings. It gets a little rutted up top between Rodriquez flat and the TH. Would a Honda Accord (or similar) make it all the way to the TH? Probably, but it would be slow going and the water crossing could be hairy 'till the melt subsides.
You have to cross Silver King Cr to get to the Soda Cone. That too could be sketchy with a heavy run off.
Lastly, to reach the falls, you have to cross the East Fk itself. That definitely is a task before late Summer...
PM me if you want more deets
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

TahoeJeff wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am Lastly, to reach the falls, you have to cross the East Fk itself. That definitely is a task before late Summer...
PM me if you want more deets
Hm, I kinda figured with the meadows it'd be spread out enough to get through.

Also, worst case scenario, you could not cross the river, and go cross country from Poison Creek, staying on the east side to Carson Falls. Not sure if that'd be a pleasurable bushwhack, but meadows are usually just wet & boggy.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Early season wildflowers around Nobel Lake? It took until August in 1998 and there was still snow on the trail. I'm speculating those articles were referring to dry years. That whole Ebbetts Pass area is a real snow catcher. Some years it gets more snow than Carson Pass. I don't think it will be open for awhile.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

rightstar76 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm Early season wildflowers around Nobel Lake? It took until August in 1998 and there was still snow on the trail. I'm speculating those articles were referring to dry years. That whole Ebbetts Pass area is a real snow catcher. Some years it gets more snow than Carson Pass. I don't think it will be open for awhile.
Yeah, up on the pass will be snowy (43 inches at Ebbett's Pass). But ~8 inches at Poison Flat, not that bad.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Bear in mind and that even six inches of snow can make these faint trails hard to follow. Assume that you'll be navigating a lot, and moving slower than usual.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

balzaccom wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:05 am Bear in mind and that even six inches of snow can make these faint trails hard to follow. Assume that you'll be navigating a lot, and moving slower than usual.
Yeah, if I do this trip, it will probably be in June this year. I'll let poison meadow melt out first. For hiking, I generally like about 40% snow coverage, you can still move fast, and it makes for some nice pictures and cold beers in the evening :)