May 2012 Trip Report- Belle Canyon, Sheep Camp Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: May 2012 Trip Report- Belle Canyon, Sheep Camp Lakes

Post by oldranger »

Rich,

Somehow I missed your post (was in yosemite at the time). Best route between Upper and Lower Sheep camp lakes is roughly down the outlet stream of Upper Sheepcamp, starting on the right side going down but then switching to the left and working your way down to Seville then doing the easy traverse to Lower Sheep Camp. From 84 thru 90 except for one big snow year I spent memorial day weekend fishing, er patrolling Seville, Lost, and Ranger lakes before heading into my Ranger Station at Roaring River. During years that there was no Ranger lakes Ranger a trailhead ranger from Lodgepole would head into Ranger Lakes occasionally. A couple of times I rode over on my stock and spent Labor day weekend in the area because it got much more use than Roaring River.

Thanks for the pics.

PM to follow.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Rich,

Sorry, I must have missed this report when you first posted it as well. Thanks so much for sharing; recalls fond memories of a nearly identical trip I did two years ago.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I really enjoyed this blast from the past and I'm glad it got bumped to the top again. That is really neat country.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Hey SekiHiker, I hope you are feeling well and have a Merry Christmas! I think of giving you a call when I go to Fresno, but this is a strange year, not one trip since I saw you at the Meetup. Our son, and grand kids were down here for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I hope to get up there, and drop into REI around New Years, and if I do, I will give you a call, Bill, and see if you are available for a coup of coffee/whatever. Richard
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Hope to see you then, Rich.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Great trip report! It gives me some hope on the timing. A buddy and I are trying to do something similar but stretch it to 3 nights. Maybe try to get a bit more cross country mixed in.

I'll be keeping an eye on the weather but it would be great to sneak out there in mid/late May prior to the quota season. Worst case scenario we submit for permits and try to lock something down in mid/late June.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Keep in mind 2012 was a pretty dry year.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Good to know. How has this year been so far for this region? Or is it too early in the season to matter how wet/dry it has been?
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

This is not a drought year, and I think early entry is not probable, in my opinion.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19166