Dinkey Lakes - 9/21/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Dinkey Lakes - 9/21/18

Post by overheadx2 »

This trip was more of a relaxing trip designed for my wife with a bad foot and one of my backpacking friends that was recovering from hernia surgery. The drive to the trail head was exciting by itself as the bridge over Cow creek had been struck by a tree and one side of the underside bracing was cracked. There was a sign that said it was closed, but most folks appeared to be driving around it and staying on the solid side. We drove around for a bit looking for an alternative forest road, but after attempting two seemingly OHV roads decided to increase our insurance and just follow the others across. Hard to believe that there was no mention of it at the Ranger station when I received my permit.
We hit the trail headed for Bowfinger Lake and a little solitude. The hike was very easy (4 miles, 1200ft) and after severel hours we were lake side and setting up base camp. I would describe Bowfinger Lake more as a cross between a lake and a large tarn, but it was beautiful. Contrary to reports, I would consider this lake fishless since we fished it each day for three days with out a bite, follower or seeing a rise or cruiser.
Bowfinger lake.jpg
Red bowfinger.jpg

On our layover day the more in shape folks did a short loop and climbed the three sisters peak.
3 Sisters.jpg
Wanting to get some fishing in, we decided to make a loop around the lake basin. Surprisingly there were very few people any where and we only came across 4 or 5 other groups the entire weekend. we ended up doing a big loop all the way down to Little Lake and catching quite a few fish with nothing over 10 inches.
swede lake.jpg
the last day, we got up a little late took our time since we only had a 1.5 hour hike out.
Overall, its a great place to take a new or young packer. Seems as if after labor day the crowds die down significantly as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dinkey Lakes - 9/21/18

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! Always nice to see photos of DLW and I'm glad you got to enjoy the area with few people.

Interesting fishing report from the first lake, too. I've been there several times over the last 15 years and it seems like the fishery is different each time, from tons of 5" fish one visit to several 9-10" fish the next to a few 13-14" fish a different year. The fish population is probably pretty marginal though because of how tiny the lake is, so I could see it being feasible for the lake to winterkill during a heavy snow year or for there to be only a few larger fish remaining and hiding in a deeper hole out in the middle.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Dinkey Lakes - 9/21/18

Post by balzaccom »

Lovely report and photos. Thanks for posting it. We'll add this to the list of easier hikes to take when we need one of those!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963