Bear Lockers at South Lake Trail head?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Lockers at South Lake Trail head?

Post by Jimr »

Too bad they can't helicopter those locked up bear boxes at Kearsarge lakes out and drop them in areas where they may be useful.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

notis wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:25 pmI was SURE there were because we've taken at least two trips out of there and stashed our stuff. Makes me wonder where we put it?
Are you sure it was North Lake?

There weren't any signs warning about bears either. We figured that the lack of boxes and warning signs probably meant that bears aren't a common problem there. So we left the small amount of extra food we had in the car.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

It's been a few years, but if memory serves correctly, I recall there being a bear box at the Tyee Lakes trailhead a couple of miles north of South Lake.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

longri wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:07 am
notis wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:25 pmI was SURE there were because we've taken at least two trips out of there and stashed our stuff. Makes me wonder where we put it?
Are you sure it was North Lake?

There weren't any signs warning about bears either. We figured that the lack of boxes and warning signs probably meant that bears aren't a common problem there. So we left the small amount of extra food we had in the car.
Yeah, we've done the N-S Lake Loop, an XC trip over Piute, and a Lamarck Lakes trip in the last couple years :confused:

Maybe we did leave stuff in the car, but that seems silly and against our instinct. Gee, maybe we put it in a campers locker? Actually--yeah! One trip we kindly asked a family who was going to be there for a few days. But that is problematic--they should really install lockers there.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Yes there are at least 6 lockers at South Lake, possibly 8, I did not count. My stuff was unmolested twice this summer, but this trailhead has more urban visitors than the others because of the boat launch, so it would not surprise me if articles are taken occasionally.