2017 Summer Explorations July 23 - August 31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Summer Explorations July 23 - August 31

Post by alpinemike » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Day 24- Dayhike Mono Pass
I had been to Little Lakes Valley many years ago with my parents. It was the site of my dad's first backpacking trip in the Sierra in the late 60's. I had gone back once before and hiked all the way to the Treasure Lakes. This time though we hiked up to Mono Pass, which I had never been on. The views were spectacular and we had a great dayhike. My finger was definitely a pain and using a trekking pole was definitely impossible in that hand. At least not properly. Using my hand was also challenging since my bandage got in the way of a lot of things. Stuffing things was very challenging, so I could tell that backpacking would be very difficult. It was that day we decided to give me a few more days before we ended up going anywhere.
IMG_5531RSPPI.jpg
IMG_5539RSPPI.jpg
IMG_5546RSPPI.jpg
IMG_5551RSPPI.jpg
Day 25- In Mammoth
Can't say I remember much about what happened this day. I know we left Mosquito Flat and drove up to Mammoth. Probably cleaned up somewhere and just relaxed. We hit up hot springs in the 395 area as well. We found a cool campspot off of 395 and 203 that we stayed in the next few days.

Day 26- In Mammoth
We explored more hot springs and checked out the Mammoth Lakes Basin. Janine said she may have been there years ago but it felt new to her. it was pretty hilarious to check out some hot springs and a whole herd of cows was around it and drinking water out of it. We passed on dipping into that one. I believe we enjoyed an evening/night soak in the hot springs.
IMG_5557RSPPI.jpg
IMG_5558RSPPI.jpg
IMG_5559RSPPI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alpinemike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by alpinemike » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Day 27- In Mammoth
I came up with an idea for a quick section that we would be able to utilize both our cars and shuttle. I had never hiked out of Convict Lake and had seen photos that definitely gave me reason to check it out. We would go from there and head to the JMT across a cross country pass and head back to Mammoth via the Sierra High Route and drop down to George Lake where we would park Janine's car. We basically got ready for this section today and tomorrow.
IMG_5604RSPPI.jpg
Day 28- In Mammoth
We finalized our food for the next section. Plans had changed drastically during the summer because Janine planned on hiking with me all the way to the end. My plans to go into Yosemite were basically changed as soon as Rogue decided it wasn't the year to try and do that hike. So I talked with my buddy Dan who I mentioned a plan to hike a section in Southern Yosemite mostly on trails since I had never been in the area. Unfortunately due to the South Fork Fire that had started that idea was also shut down! Remember how I said nothing went to plan this summer.. haha. Once I scraped that idea Dan said it would be best for him and I to just do something in September. So now I had to come up with another section. I really liked the idea of it and Janine said she was into it. We would mostly take the Sierra High Route through Ansel Adams Wilderness and try and head to Tuolumne Meadows via Koip Peak Pass and Mono Pass. Now that I had figured out our next 2 sections it was time to start backpacking again! My finger was doing a lot better and I was little less useless when it came to putting things away. We got dinner at Nik n Willies Pizza in Mammoth and headed to Black Doubt Brewing. It was incredible. The pizza was a Thai Chicken that was heavenly and the beer was the perfect pairing to it. We dropped off Janine's car at the George Lake TH in Mammoth and then drove in my truck to the Convict Lake TH.
IMG_5614RSPPI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ecat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ecat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 am

Hello Mike. Loved your pics of Miter Basin. I just returned from there and have a quick question for you. You mention the “Secret Chute”- was that just above lower Soldier Lake? As we I stood near the outlet looking across the lake there was no obvious chute in view (hence the “secret”) I contoured across just below the lake which ended up being pretty neat as I really enjoyed the mid basin streams, as I made my way Upwards but I’d love to become familiar with the entry you used. Again, loved your pics. Thanks! Steve