Backpacking / Relationships

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking / Relationships

Post by oldranger »

As many on the forum know. I didn't meet Kathy on the trail but at the Big Stump entrance to Kings Canyon NP but a couple of days later our first "date" was the Rae Lakes loop. Then 2 more trips that summer. 37 years later we are still together but she has developed a sensitivity to high elevations an hasn't been on a backpacking trip in several years.

Maverick caught up with me at Irwin Bright lake in the Spring of 2009. We continue to communicate thru the years. Met Markskor below Edna lake later that summer and Tehipite Tom at Red Devil lake a couple of days later. Mark and Tom are fairly regular companions since then, can somehow tolerate me and they often provide comic relief to my dullness.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I backpacked with Vicki, Janet, Marilyn, Eleanor, and "saint" Diane. They each liked BPing and to varying degrees. While single, on 2 different solo trips I met a woman and we spent the night togeather. Nothing came of either. Maybe each had a boyfriend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maverick caught up with me at Irwin Bright lake in the Spring of 2009.
Dinkey Lakes too! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Well... as most of you know I met Rogue at Vee Lake in 2014 and backpacked with him for over a month. And then we spent the better part of the next 2 summers backpacking together. I haven't backpacked more with anyone else.. We're up to almost 180 days together. Definitely a close friend.

I met Bluewater 2 February's ago and we had an epic winter snowshoeing trek into Evolution Basin. We've tried to meet up since then but life has gotten in the way. We did manage to meet at the meetup this year. We definitely hold conversation throughout the year and try and will continue to try and plan trips together! I also met quite a few folks I've corresponded with in prior years at the meetup this year.

As for my girlfriend.. nope didn't meet her on the trail. But our first date was backcountry ski touring to Lake Winnemmuca last Spring. She has been a backpacker her whole life and I got her back into it last year. We spent over a month and a half backpacking the Sierra last summer. Our relationship definitely strengthened on all levels and if it's any indication she's living with me now!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Git er done

I mean, congrats :nod:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I did not meet Judy backpacking, but we went backpacking as of about date no. 4. To this day that the coldest backpacking trip I've taken in the Sierra--doggone lakes froze over in the middle of the afternoon as we were fishing them (Little Lakes Valley late Sept. 1986). Of course Judy soon became my no. 1 backpacking and high country fishing buddy and we ended up backpacking all over the High Sierra with a few trips thrown in the Klamath and Warner Mtns with the peak years from 1989-1999 and the most spectacular year "The Year of 100 Lakes" being 1997. To date Judy has fished over 500 lakes of the High Sierra with me. During the peak years, we were spending something like 40 days of the year in the mountains, most of which was an assortment of trips running from overnighters to week-long trips. After our first kid (Lee, son) arrived in 2002 (both of us past 40 by that time) Judy didn't go backpacking for awhile and I would do the occasional death march trip with various friends. The kids went on their first backpack with us in 2008 (or was it 2007) and this marked Judy's return. Since then we've usually gotten in one or two family backpack trips a year, but missed the last two years (2016 and 2017); the only family-oriented backpack trip the last two years was my trip with Dawn (daughter) last summer. Hopefully we'll get back out there on some fun off trail trips before we get too old to do it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
htrout
Topix Novice

Post by htrout »

Well, I'm the wifey and hubby has been a reluctant backpacker. I dragged him and our kiddo out to Big Sur (which is very near our home) and the kid took to it immediately and now does it all the time - solo or with buddies (he's 21 now). Hubby is still the reluctant backpacker. He goes to keep me happy and wouldn't ever initiate a trip. But, he does enjoy getting out there and seeing the view.

We almost ended in divorce when he refused to bathe on day 3 of an 8 days trek and I just couldn't handle the smell of his feet. He hates cold water on his body. I was ready to leave him behind. Now we boil water and put it in a solar shower and bathe daily (rinse, really...) and are happily ever after. Quite a chore, but that's okay.

I've also learned to feed him lunch! He gets crabby. That was a game changer. Now we stop and make tuna sandwiches and have chips (yes, we bring a bag of chips, clipped to the outside of my pack). It is extra weight to bring a loaf of bread, mayo packs, and the chips, but it is cheaper than a marriage counselor.

His favorite trek thus far has been North Fork/Big Pine up along the 7 lakes. Or Zion. He loved Zion. I like just about all of them, sans mosquitoes.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

My partner backpacks (now) but I did not meet her on trail.

Met a number of people on US trails over the last few years...

My good friend Pete - we met on the Colorado Trail in 2013; he hosted me in Durango and stayed with me last summer as we explored the European Alps..

With another friend from the CT (Rick) we did the WRHR in 2015..

Several other good mates from that trip - message contact.

More recently the PCT; keep in touch with a few from that section hike, on FB. One guy I am in touch with for witty badinage (my judgement) daily.

The USA is kind of far.....
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

I didn't meet my partner on the trail but the feelings began to bloom at Joshua Tree National Park. We went to the park as friends and I thought she wasn't a strong hiker...boy was I wrong lol. We did the short hike to the old dam and then we did Ryan mountain. She hiked that thing incredibly fast (or I was just super slow!). At the top, I don't know why but I decided to ask "Hey! you wanna go to Sequoia?" Didn't think she would say yes but we ended up driving to SEKI that night from JT. Best trip I ever had!

We know have been together for a happy 3 years and love backpacking in the winter and early spring. We both aren't really fans of being out in the summer since we enjoy sailing around that time.