Walk-up permit NOBO JMT from Reds

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
muleaaron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Walk-up permit NOBO JMT from Reds

Post by muleaaron »

I'm hiking the JMT NOBO this summer and my dad would like to join us for the stretch from Reds to Happy Isles. I don't know exactly when we will be there and so I didn't bother to reserve a permit for him. For those who have tried in the past, how difficult would it be to secure a walk up permit from Reds Meadow to start hiking the same day? It will probably be on Labor Day, or possibly the following day. Thanks in advance.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Walk-up permit NOBO JMT from Reds

Post by Dave_Ayers »

You are talking about a JMT North (A10) permit from Devils Postpile. The problem with that permit is the low quota, only 10 total with 4 walk-up slots. Even so, solo odds are usually decent especially in Sept. JimR and I got walk-up A10 permits last year around that date and all the walk-up slots were open.

Also you do have an alternative with the Shadow Creek trail (A07) starting at Agnew Meadows and joining the JMT at Shadow Lake. That permit has a quota of 30 with 12 walk-up slots. 4 reserved slots are showing open for 9/4 at the current moment. You could reserve an A07 permit now. Then keep an eye on the listings the next few months for an opportunity to change it to A10 if someone cancels. If not, he'll still have the opportunity to change to A10 when he picks up the permit.
muleaaron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Walk-up permit NOBO JMT from Reds

Post by muleaaron »

Thanks for the tip. I'll grab a Shadow Creek permit as a backup in the case that he can't get a walk up same day for Reds.